Car care Tips Ardsley Motors - Auto Repair Ardsley
& Westchester, NY
The Dealership Alternative
As part of Ardsley Motor's commitment to providing Ardsley, Westchester and the greater New York area with quality auto repair, we offer the following Car Care Tips. Ranging from Safe Driving Tips for Teens, Steps to Improve Your Gas Mileage, and a Maintenance Checklist, these tips are meant to empower our customers with automotive knowledge. If you have questions, or need to schedule maintenance, don't hesitate to give us a call!
How To Improve Your Car's Gas Mileage
Here are some of the things you can do to ensure improved gas mileage for your car:
- Keep your car clean. Mud on the undercarriage can weigh a significant amount and slow you down.
- Consolidate your daily trips and errands. This will also save you the cost of restarting your engine, which uses a lot of gas.
- Avoid air conditioning when possible. However, when driving at higher speeds, having your windows open also creates drag.
- Don't throttle the gas or brake pedal! Sudden starts or stops use more gas than gradual changes in speed.
- Don't idle for too long. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait.
- Limit car warm-ups in winter.
- Clear out the trunk. More weight equals more drag.
- Avoid high speeds. We know this is almost impossible to resist but you can improve your gas mileage by up to 15 percent driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph.
- Use overdrive. If your car is equipped with overdrive gearing use it as soon as your speed is high enough.
- Use cruise control. Maintaining a constant speed is ideal for improving your gas mileage.
Servicing Your Vehicle
- Replace the spark plugs in your engine regularly. This way, the air and fuel mixture will burn cleaner and more efficiently.
- Improve the intake/output system. By allowing gas to get in and exhaust to get out of your vehicle you will improve the vehicle's overall performance and gas mileage.
- Reduce friction. Use high-quality or synthetic motor oil.
- Check your oil! Low oil makes your engine work harder.
- Change your filters. Dirty filters can sometimes increase the amount of fuel your vehicle uses by as much as 10 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. Check regularly to ensure your tires are fully inflated and your alignment is good.
- Get regular engine tune-ups and car maintenance checks. A lot can go wrong with a car. Damaged spark plugs or transmission problems can also contribute to poor gas mileage.
"I’ve been using this repair shop for over 2 years now. I am a professional chauffeur that needs quick, great and reliable service on my Cadillac Escalade. Taking the car to the dealer holds me up all day. Not here. Love it for all major and minor details. They even give me a free car wash!"
Westchester Co. TLC
"This place is amazing! These guys saved me a ton of money over the dealers. They put my Land Rover up on one of their lifts and physically showed me what my SUV really needed. They even fueled up my car for me!!!! First class service and QUALITY WORK!!!"
"Not only did they do the BMW “required maintenance,” but they also sent my vehicle out to get a full interior/exterior detail and the final product was superb! For 12 years, I have brought my BMW, Range Rover and Mercedes Benz in for everything. Ardsley Motors has continued to do right by me and everyone I have ever recommended."
"My engine was making a horrible noise and they were able to diagnose the problem quickly. I was on the road in no time. The employees are very courteous and professional. I did not hesitate to recommend them to friends and family."
"Awesome service, reasonably priced, convenient location, all you need to feel comfortable when dropping your vehicle off for repairs."